Requests Roleplaying Video Games Entertainment & Media
Politics & World General Spirituality & Philosophy Worldbuilding
Creative Forum The Sports Center Science, Math, & Technology The Nostalgia Forum
Sexuality Hot Takes Complaints Awwww
Hobbies      

Politics & World

Current Events and World Affairs, Government Information and News Headlines... but please leverage the Hot Takes forum for debates!

trump already disputing 2020 election results

Posted Over 2 Years ago by eldin raigmore

In a recent White House press briefing, Trump cast doubt on the legitimacy of the 2020 general election in states that have a lot of mail-in or absentee voters.
He appears to be “setting us up” for a claim that he was really re-elected even if his opponent has more popular vote and more Electoral College votes and carries more states.
One commentator says he’s setting US up for a second civil war.

There are 20 Replies

Tbh I'm gonna be pretty surprised if Trump does lose at all, let alone if it's by a pretty wide margin. He does have a point that it seems like the Democrats could only beat him in November by cheating. I think if he loses the FBI should appoint a special counsel to investigate Joe Biden for election meddling and Russian and Chinese l collusion

Over 2 Years ago
Dr. Doom

[scrubbed]

Over 2 Years ago
[scrubbed]

Whatever else Donald Trump is capable of, an attempted coup probably isn't it. The Democratic Party and their affiliates in the media, however, have all but openly rejected the legitimacy of the last two of three Republican presidential victories. Why will no one ask them to pledge that they will accept the outcome of the next election?

I think if he loses the FBI should appoint a special counsel to investigate Joe Biden for election meddling and Russian and Chinese l collusion

Yes, and for no fewer than three years, after which we will attempt to impeach him for something totally unrelated. No doubt we'll have to drag out poor Mark Zuckerberg and charge him once again for the indecency of allowing people to say, view, or disseminate more or less whatever they want while on his platform.

Over 2 Years ago
Famov

Trump doesn’t want to leave office because it’s somewhat likely he will be prosecuted when he does.

Over 2 Years ago
pacman

Trump cast doubt on the legitimacy of the 2020 general election in states that have a lot of mail-in or absentee voters.

I share trump's concern on this, but I don't think it'll matter in this election.

I think if he loses the FBI should appoint a special counsel to investigate Joe Biden for election meddling and Russian and Chinese l collusion

It would serve them right.

Trump kills the bulk of his supporters by failing to act on COVID

People are dying at a higher frequency in blue states, probably because they tend to have more population density.

Over 2 Years ago
Xhin
Sky's the limit

[scrubbed]

Over 2 Years ago
[scrubbed]

I really, really hope it doesn’t hit rural areas the way it hit densely populated urban and metro areas. Not as many people to infect, but their health care infrastructure is way less prepared than the big cities (and let’s be real; the big cities weren’t super well-prepared either).

Over 2 Years ago
pacman

For now. That wont be the case when it hits the Red States that have failed to push any quarantine measures.

The low population density means it isn't going to spread rapidly there.

Over 2 Years ago
Xhin
Sky's the limit

[scrubbed]

Over 2 Years ago
[scrubbed]

Should be noted that rural areas and red states are not necessarily the same thing.

Over 2 Years ago
pacman

Yeah that's the point I was trying to make -- the red states that haven't pushed quarantine measures are exclusively in sparsely-populated areas like Wisconsin. Texas has big population centers, so it isn't what I was talking about.

The increase there is surprising though since they've been on lockdown since March 13th.

Over 2 Years ago
Xhin
Sky's the limit

He must be jumping at shadows if he thinks a dead man is going to beat him on name recognition alone but I'll vote for Biden regardless. If he wants to stage a coup I'd prefer that he have to do it the old fashioned way.

Over 2 Years ago
Ursa Aeris

[scrubbed]

Over 2 Years ago
[scrubbed]

Even if such victories constitute nothing illegal, it is at least worthy of remark that in all four cases in history that a presidental candidate won the popular vote but lost the election, the winner of the popular vote has always been a Democrat facing an electoral loss to a Republican. If the "mandate" on which conservative fanaticism is so often justified cannot even be counted on to maintain something so fundamental as a plurality of national support, I think we should be periodically reminded of these elections lest the "silent majority" types who make up the "real America" overestimate themselves.

There's no reason for anyone in the media to stop bringing them up so long as the quality of the discourse in this country is such that so much of Trump's base is still busy trying to find Obama's Kenyan birthplace or contest the outcome of the Civil War (which, ironically enough, was the last major Republican victory that was unequivocally good for everyone, including the people who lost – even if they don't know it).

That Trump was a primary author of one of these two absurdities doesn't make him a sympathetic figure in the face of any allegations of "unfair" treatment. A free media is under no obligation to pledge that it accepts anything. Not CNN. Not Fox News. Not Alex Jones. If any and all of them want to go on for years about Russians or pedophile pizza rings, we've apparently decided that this is okay. If Trump didn't want to be held to a higher standard, he should have remained a frequent phone-in guest on the Savage Nation.

Over 2 Years ago
Just Because

If any and all of them want to go on for years about Russians or pedophile pizza rings, we've apparently decided that this is okay.

That is a good way to put it, because we do have a choice in the matter. Cable news gives us nothing more than what we demand, and a better people would demand that their free and independent media not actively tell lies. There's no need to construe that as a call for fairness with respect to Donald Trump. They don't owe us anything, let alone him. We merely owe it to ourselves to have higher standards. They rejected the legitimacy of Trump's electoral victory by way of a flimsy conspiracy theory, which sure does sound familiar.

So yes, we all should be asking whether or not Democrats and their surrogates are prepared to accept the results of the next election.

Over 2 Years ago
Famov

It's a pointless question, a first-world problem. It pretends there is doubt where there is none. For the most part we already know what they're going to do. Only paid pundits or people who enjoy acting like paid pundits will pretend it is seriously otherwise.

My father comes from a country where partisans engage in mass violence when they "don't accept" the outcome of an election, where open insurgency following leadership contests has been painfully normal. Whatever else they say, and however resentfully they say it, Democrats have clearly handled Trump as if he is a duly elected chief executive whose position was attained in accordance with the rules laid out in our Constitution, and all their attempts to try to remove him, however lackluster, have also followed the guidelines laid out in that Constitution. Everything else has been punditry.

Whatever their faults, Americans probably do transfer of power better than almost anyone else in the world. It's one of the six things we clearly do better, next to movies, music, microcode, military science, and mini pizzas.

"Is Trump going to jail?" is a more interesting question, because it is at least a matter of serious debate whether his office protects him from indictment, and what would have happened to him by now if he didn't have it.

Over 2 Years ago
Just Because

Honestly, it could go either way with the elections this year. More people are realizing how awful he is, especially how he's handling the outbreak. For sure that will be brought up in ads and in presidental debates. His die hard Trump supporters will vote for him, but more people who don't like Trump could vote for Biden

I hope Biden tries hard to get the Bernie crowd and try to pass some of the things Bernie was trying.

Over 2 Years ago
ShadowFox08

"Is Trump going to jail?" is a more interesting question, because it is at least a matter of serious debate whether his office protects him from indictment, and what would have happened to him by now if he didn't have it.

This is indeed more pertinent.

I expect to Trump to win a second term, if only going by the Dem's choice. Then again, a novel virus pandemic wasn't on my calendar for spring when the new year rolled in.

Assuming the second term follows, I'm also more interested in what the US looks like on the international stage by the time 2024 appears - I say this of course, as an international observer. I wouldn't be surprised if the US completes the ambitions it has had since the 1980s of cementing its status as the developed world's pariah state, that refuses to engage in any constructive multilateralism.

Over 2 Years ago
Arch

OK, so, I called it. Months before the election he was already setting up his coup attempt.

6 Months ago
eldin raigmore

And years before, they're setting up the next one.

6 Months ago
Jet Presto

This thread is archived